Saturday, December 18, 2010

The Emerald...uhhh....snow covered island

I realize now that I have failed to keep up with my travels over my time here in Ireland. My apologies to all :)

I have spent the last 2 weeks in the company of some great people and wonderful culture. A few days were dedicated to helping around Arthur and Lydia's house. Playing with the youngest son took up most of my energy. We made a pretty awesome tent fort in the kitchen the other day and I spent about two hours providing the voice for spiderman in our dialogue.

The rest of my days have been spent at the Liss Ard estate, where Arthur is manager. They are working hard to prepare for guests and events over the holiday season. I got the job of hauling furniture and boxes up and down stairs each day. It is great to mingle with the international crew that is working to bring it all together. Oh, and I got to decorate the Christmas tree, not a bad skill to learn...

The cultural immersion has been unbelievable. Arthur and Lydia have given me so much information about Ireland's history and traditions. Not to mention the food! Dublin Coddle, Cottage Pies, mincemeat, spiced beef, Irish coffees, and plenty of Murphys ale to go around. I have taken a few day trips with the family to various spots around West Cork. We stopped at the old fishing villages of Union Hall and Crookhaven and took a swing by te beach at Barley Cove on the westernmost point of the island.

Another notable was the trip to the stone circle at Drumbeg. This creation pre-dates Stonehenge by a few thousand years and is one of thousands across Ireland. The stone circles were used to mark the winter solstices for the farmers. By marking the shortest day of the year they could plan when to plant and harvest their crops. Imagine how much work and time must have gone into creating something that can only be measured one day a year. Not to mention the fact that the sun doesn't always shine in Ireland, so that could cause a few delays as well.

Last Friday I walked into town to take part in the traditional music sesison at one of the pubs. A few pints found me tapping my foot along with the fiddles, banjos, tin whistles, and accordions that were belting out Irish folk music. Arthur and I went to hear Lydia read some of her written works at a poetry reading last week. I met some great people and learned a great deal about Lydia's hobby and art form.

Thursday was the Christmas party at Liss Ard for employees and volunteers. Everyone contributed a bit of food or decoration to make the evening a smashing success. With the stress of preparing the house, this was a nice break for everyone to sit back and take their minds of things. Last night I was invited along to a dinner performance at a restaurant in town. Two of Lydia's friends entertained the audience between courses and we all had a good laugh. I got to meet Lydia's parents and siblings as well, so even more memories were shared. I sure felt like part of the family. We wrapped up the night with a few pints at Rosie's pub before crawling into the warm house.

I am leaving the area tomorrow to head north for a bit of ancestral research. I can't wait to show some photos of my journey. Thanks to all those who are still investing interest in my travels. I will be home before Christmas, but expect a few more blogs from me before the holidays are over. Stay warm.

-Sayer

No comments:

Post a Comment